Shawn's Birthday

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Komen Walk


Shawn, my mom, Ethan and I were fortunate enough to be able to go to the Komen Walk this year.  It was especially important for me to go this year because I lost a friend in March to a ten-year battle with breast cancer.  We were walking on my friend Lisa's team, her sister has five small children and is currently fighting breast cancer.  We also had a co-worker diagnosed with breast cancer just a month or so ago.  There was plenty on our minds during this walk.







Here is Jenn, Lisa's sister at the walk. 


I was very impressed to see all of the people there to support the fight against breast cancer. I was also very impressed to see the number of survivors walking, some one them obviously still in chemo.  There was one woman in particular who was walking with her arm bandaged up where she had an IV port still in her arm.   Here are a few pictures of the crowds.


This is all of the people walking on Jenn's Chemo Buddies team. 


  
There were other teams there with cute names like: Bosom Buddies, Tutu's for tatas, Jogging for juggs, and my favorite Bippity, Boppity, Boobs. There was a huge group walking for a woman named Hope, they chanted, "Hope for Hope!" the entire walk.
We followed this couple the entire walk.  They walked holding hands the entire time, not saying a word.  They just walked in silence.  I found that so moving.  There was also an older woman walking by herself simply carrying a sign that read, "I'm walking because my daughter can't right now."  I just about lost it at that point. 

The boys really enjoyed the walk and all of the activity.  There was definitely a sense of comradery in the air.  Everyone was simply happy to be alive and there were countless examples of bravery every where you turned around. 

Here's Ethan making silly faces.

Finally, we crossed the finish line.
After crossing the finish line, I looked around at all of the women in pink shirts and I thanked God for good health and supportive families.  I was so humbled by the experience and I look forward to doing it again next year.

2 comments:

  1. We will SO be there next year - wish we could've been there this year but it won't be an option for next. Well, unless we're in Ethiopia! Thanks for sharing and for your participation

    ReplyDelete
  2. That race is such a moving event. I was almost in tears several times the first year I did it. It's a wonderful experience that makes you feel so thankful and grateful for your health.

    ReplyDelete